2.4
Layout of Store

I would like to alert your management team to racial bias displayed by one of your employees, Jorge Galmadez, who works in your Antioch CA store. I have been a customer of Safeway Stores for over 25 years.

I have been a regular customer of your Antioch location several times a week for the past 4-years. ( Please feel free to verify this using my name/club card.) On 12/31/2017 at approximately 8:45p, I paid for approximately 5 items totaling about 27-dollars using self-check out. After completing my purchase, my 13-year old daughter and I were approached by Jorge Galmadez who stated," Open your bag, several people saw you put something in your bag, even the security saw you put something in your bag". I replied," WHAT?

ARE YOU SERIOUS? OKAY. I proceeded to open my bag as wide as I could. When Jorge couldn't find anything he then stated," You must have put it back." All the while my 13-year old was horrified and we were both humiliated in front of numerous customers and staff.

This incident was clearly racial profiling at its worst.

Not only do I resent my interaction with Jorge, I am seriously contemplating legal action for the suffering inflicted upon my daughter. This incident has turned what should have been a special night for us into a complete nightmare for my entire family.

Review about: Safeway Customer Care.

Reason of review: Racist Employee interaction .

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Comments

Your daughter is a teenager & I'm sure she sees worse things happen daily at her school. It is normal procedure for store management to approach anyone they see stealing.

Also, a person who is a minority CANNOT possibly be racist against another person who is also a minority.

You should really read the definition of "Racist" before using the term so loosely. Especially since this is what you're teaching your daughter.