2.4
Layout of Store

I would like to alert your management team to racial bias displayed by one of your employees, Jorge Galmadez, who works in your Antioch CA store. I have been a customer of Safeway Stores for over 25 years.

I have been a regular customer of your Antioch location several times a week for the past 4-years. ( Please feel free to verify this using my name/club card.) On 12/31/2017 at approximately 8:45p, I paid for approximately 5 items totaling about 27-dollars using self-check out. After completing my purchase, my 13-year old daughter and I were approached by Jorge Galmadez who stated," Open your bag, several people saw you put something in your bag, even the security saw you put something in your bag". I replied," WHAT?

ARE YOU SERIOUS? OKAY. I proceeded to open my bag as wide as I could. When Jorge couldn't find anything he then stated," You must have put it back." All the while my 13-year old was horrified and we were both humiliated in front of numerous customers and staff.

This incident was clearly racial profiling at its worst.

Not only do I resent my interaction with Jorge, I am seriously contemplating legal action for the suffering inflicted upon my daughter. This incident has turned what should have been a special night for us into a complete nightmare for my entire family.

Review about: Safeway Customer Care.

Reason of review: Racist Employee interaction .

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Comments

I honestly don't think that it had anything to do with your race. They would have done that regardless of your skin color.

While Jorge was hassling you and your daughter, some guy with a shopping cart filled with twelve packs of beer rolled right out of the store without paying.

I met a guy who told me that he used to go steal beer like that, that he would just fill up a cart and then walk out of the store like he had already paid for them, and no-one ever stopped to question him. He said that one time he rolled his cart outside to his car right as the store security officer was hassling someone, accusing them of shoplifting.

Your daughter is a teenager & I'm sure she sees worse things happen daily at her school. It is normal procedure for store management to approach anyone they see stealing.

Also, a person who is a minority CANNOT possibly be racist against another person who is also a minority.

You should really read the definition of "Racist" before using the term so loosely. Especially since this is what you're teaching your daughter.