Safeway Store denied me the purchase of a Visa Gift Card

For the last 11 years iv'e been shopping at a local Safeway store. I always appreciated the friendly atmosphere of Safeway but for the last 5 years that's about all Safeway has going for them. Over the years Iv'e watched the Safeway Corporation make things very inconvenient by way of ridiculous policies. I remember how convenient it was to purchase my tobacco products at my Colorado and Arizona Safeway but Arizona Safeway stopped carrying smokeless tobacco. I also remember when I could purchase a Visa Gift Card along with my groceries by form of Check payment at my Colorado Safeway, but here recently I was told by the Colorado Safeway chech out clerk that Safeway no longer accepts a check as payment for visa gift cards, she told me the Visa Geft Card is a "cash only purchase." She also told me it was a "Corporate Policy" which went into affect 6 months ago. I thought this was a bit odd considering I've been purchasing Visa gift cards at different Safeway stores by form of Check payment for the last 12 months prior. So, I guess you could say this new "Corporate Policy" has become yet another inconvenience for the loyal Safeway customers of Colorado. I have two other grocery stores in my area I can easily do business with, if the Safeway Corporate Policy is aimed at making things less convenient for they're customer, then by right, my own policy tells me maybe I should start doing my grocery shopping else where in my community. Ridiculous policies and misinformed Safeway clerks are a sure way to lose loyal customers!

Mary the checkout clerk needs to be "re-informed" regarding the payment/purchase policies for Visa Gift Cards at 1580 E Main St, Cortez, CO 81321

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Helpful? 0 Yes 0 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Jan 08 #1091123

No merchant in their right mind would take a check for a prepaid visa gift card. That would be a scammers paradise. I'm sure you're well intentioned friend but that is bad business practice no matter where you go. Any merchant who willingly accepts a check for prepaid cards is asking to be defrauded.

1 0 Reply
Pissed employee

Feb 16, 2013 #609757

Your absolutely right plus everything that sells well is discontinued

1 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.